Monday, August 19, 2013

Out of the Easy by Ruta Sepetys

It’s 1950, and as the French Quarter of New Orleans simmers with secrets, seventeen-year-old Josie Moraine is silently stirring a pot of her own. Known among locals as the daughter of a brothel prostitute, Josie wants more out of life than the Big Easy has to offer. 

She devises a plan get out, but a mysterious death in the Quarter leaves Josie tangled in an investigation that will challenge her allegiance to her mother, her conscience, and Willie Woodley, the brusque madam on Conti Street. Josie is caught between the dream of an elite college and a clandestine underworld. New Orleans lures her in her quest for truth, dangling temptation at every turn, and escalating to the ultimate test.

With characters as captivating as those in her internationally bestselling novel Between Shades of Gray, Ruta Sepetys skillfully creates a rich story of secrets, lies, and the haunting reminder that decisions can shape our destiny.


5 Star Rating
My recommendation:  Buy the hardback, put on your shelf and loan it out to friends!

Recommended Age:  15+ (Due to Subject Matter)  I went to sleep reading, I woke up reading and at the end....I wept.  What an amazing real story.  Jo is a strong and vulnerable heroine.  Pushing through her circumstances to try and be something better.  Things don't magically work out and bad things happen.  She learns that trust is hard to give and that family doesn't always mean you have to share blood.  You dream, you love, you get hurt, you move on.  This story really touched me.  Days after reading it, I'm still reflecting.

Plot/Pace:  It starts well, ends well and is full of drama in-between.  The book is emotionally packed.  There are parts that made me laugh and parts where my heart ached for the main character.  The events that lead up to the climax resolutions were exciting and kept me anxious.  The pacing was splendid.  I couldn't put the book down.  The storyline had plenty of adventure to keep me engrossed in the story.

Imagery:  Beautifully built story.  In my minds eye, I could see myself walking down the street, walking up to the house on Conti street and meeting Willie's nieces.  I even pictured the dance that went along with Coki's singing.  The writing let me feel Josie's fear, her disappointment and pain.

Romance:  A slow and subtle romance.  Some heartbreak.  How I hurt for Patrick!  I could see it coming though...the way things were written, if you read between the lines you could guess the outcome.  LOVED that!!

Action:  There's a whorehouse and the mob, but the action  doesn't revolve around gun fights and knife fights.  The action in this book comes from the drama of the character's situations.  It was the anticipation of how things would pan out that kept things exciting.  What would happen to Charlie during his dementia?  What would be on the typed page?!  How would Jo figure out her money situation?  Is she REALLY gonna go through with it?!

Characters:  The character relationships were so wonderfully complex.  Even the minor characters were intriguing.  Willie's love for Jo, despite her harsh mannerisms was very touching.  The way the author developed the characters and the story, I could step in their shoes.  I could relate to Jo's disappointment with her mom, her sadness and her hope that something better was out there for her.  The characters flaws and insecurities showed through in their actions and decisions.  Making the story more real for me.

What Irked the Shiznit Out of Me:  Nothing really....although...I will mention that I could see that theft coming a MILE away!  Jo should have been too jaded to let that have happened.  But then again...the way she was written, as a reader you know that she doesn't want to expect the worst from those she loves.

What Blew Me Away:  Jo's relationship with her mom, Patrick, Willie and Cokie.  Silly, but I cried with Jo when she got Cokie's gift and his song.  My heart broke for Patrick when I realized why he made his final decision.  Things like that couldn't work out back then, like they can now....sad.  What I really loved about the book was that good outcomes don't always happen.  People get away with doing bad things.  There isn't always justice after betrayal.  And the real ending...is unknown.

Buy this book!  Read this book!  Keep this book!  And read it again in a couple of years!

If you like this book, what else might you like???

I don't know o_o!  This is my first time reading a non-fantasy, sci-fi, dystopian like YA book.  If you have suggestions, let me know!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment