Tuesday, March 7, 2017

The Dreamblood Duology by NK Jemisin

The city burned beneath the Dreaming Moon.

In the ancient city-state of Gujaareh, peace is the only law. Upon its rooftops and amongst the shadows of its cobbled streets wait the Gatherers -- the keepers of this peace. Priests of the dream-goddess, their duty is to harvest the magic of the sleeping mind and use it to heal, soothe . . . and kill those judged corrupt.

But when a conspiracy blooms within Gujaareh's great temple, Ehiru -- the most famous of the city's Gatherers -- must question everything he knows. Someone, or something, is murdering dreamers in the goddess' name, stalking its prey both in Gujaareh's alleys and the realm of dreams. Ehiru must now protect the woman he was sent to kill -- or watch the city be devoured by war and forbidden magic.


3 Star Rating - Recommended Age:  16+

This was a satisfying read.  It took quite a while for me to get into the story though.  It's not that the story wasn't a good one, but building up the momentum took about half of each book.  It was an emotional storyline where you really start to feel for the characters.  I really liked the unique concept of how delivering death is dealt with in this society, and the opposing views from outside of Gujaareh.  It's very thought provoking and provides a grey area on what is considered morally right or wrong.

The story was definitely not non-stop excitement, though I didn't feel the need to skip pages to get to the good part.  I got caught up in the characters and I found myself a little attached to Nijiri.  Why can't he be happy!  Why can't he have love!!!  Halfway into each book, it starts to move in a more fast paced manner and I couldn't put it down.  As always the world building is on point in a Jemisin book and the characters are well developed.  I found myself tearing up a little bit on some parts....now that's good writing.

Definitely not the best Jemisin book I've read, but a solid "It didn't waste my time".

No comments:

Post a Comment